Sunday 2 June 2013

Sound of Harris - 29th May 2013

After spending the afternoon at Horgabost beach, where Gavin and I had a short paddle, I managed to grab an evening jaunt into the Sound of Harris that separates the Isle of Harris from North Uist. The sound is dotted with islands and skerries and unpredictable tides that make it an interesting place to paddle.


I launched from the ferry slip at Leverburgh, mindful of the ferry that was due around 6:30, and headed north west. There was quite a headwind, and I was also fighting some current, so I glided westwards, working my way across behind some skerries, and then striking out for Ensay. I landed on the the beach on the eastern side and got out to explore the chapel and the house.

Heading north west from Leverburgh

Ensay

Ensay Chapel
I returned to my boat and set of again, rounding the southern tip of Ensay and ferry gliding across the channel to Killegray. I passed down the east side and out past the skerries on the south eastern tip of the island. The wind dropped and I was floating in the middle of the sound looking towards Uist in mirror calm conditions.


I returned to Leverburgh by the ferry channel, passing an otter scurrying about on a small rock. 15km paddled.


No comments: