Thursday 24 June 2010

Borthwen to Ynys Meibion, Cable Bay, Rhosneigr and back - 20th June 2010

Second day of the NWSK summer meet.

Launched from Borthwen again (nice not to have to move the car all weekend!). While waiting for the group to get their act together I went for a quick spin around Rhoscolyn Beacon where there were a few seals.

Once massed, 15 of us set off rockhopping towards Silver bay. Bit pedestrian for my liking so I struck off S by myself across the bay to Ynys Meibion (the headland by the Rhosneigr Race Circuit). Quick rest in the bay on the south side, then I headed back to Cable Bay to see if I could find the others. They weren't there, so I had my lunch and continued back towards Rhoscolyn.

Out in the bay by Rhosneigr I spotted a group of kayakers inshore, and just as I thought I might call them on the radio I received an incoming call from Kev inviting me for ice cream at Rhosneiger. So I paddled into the shore and met up with the rest of the group again.

We paddled back to the rocks to the E of Rhoscolyn and played about in them for a while. Bit limited paddling the Epic, and perhaps a good idea since Jim K had a swim after an encounter with a wave/stopper in a gully.

On returning to the beach did a few rolls and we generally messed about in the pleasant sunshine. Conditions were sunny with about a N F3 wind that died out by late afternoon. About 28km paddled.

The crossing of the bay from Silver Bay to Ynys Meibion was slightly frustrating as the following sea made it a bit difficult to keep the boat straight. I still think the Epic rudder does not have enough bite, and it would have been really interesting to paddle the Taran in these conditions - its more aggressive and positive rudder would have been much better I think.

No comments: