Friday 13 June 2014

Coquet Island Race - 8th June 2014

Early on Sunday morning we de-camped and made our way down to Amble to get a good parking spot for the Coquet Island Race. I've always been lucky with the weather each time I've done this race, and this year was no exception. 

It's always sunny for the Coquet race!

An elite athlete gets ready
The sunny and warm conditions meant that tee-shirts were in order. We lined up for the start at 11am and we were soon off down the harbour. I didn't have my Epic racing kayak, but I'm not sure how much difference that would have made. I've been finding the Epic a bit of a handful, so I was curious to see how I got on in the Xplore. Once out of the harbour the southerly breeze was kicking up a bit of swell, but looking at the route plot below I seem to have taken a good line both out and back as we went around the island clockwise.

Rachael finishes with a grimace!
I finished 5th sea kayak, just out-sprinted on the line by someone in an Inuk. My time was just over 50 minutes. Many thanks to Coquet Canoe Club for putting on a fun event.

Route plot

No comments: