Sunday 17 May 2009

Macclesfield Canal - 16th May 2009

Clarke Lane to Higher Poynton Marina and back. About 68 out, 63 back...

Tried out some new paddles - Bracsa VIII wings. I think they are going to take a bit of getting used to! Wing paddles require a stroke that keeps the paddle more vertical, but also moves out away from the boat. This forces you to rotate your body/shoulders rather than using your arms. I have been practicing a stroke like this, but it is more obvious with the wings when you get it right or wrong.

I'm also not sure what feather angle to use... I tried 45% and 90%. One thing I found was that I had to grip the handle tightly in my left control hand. Reason being that the paddle blades are angled away from the line of the shaft, and hence if you hold them loosely the centre of gravity of the paddle blades wants to rotate the paddle such that they sit at their lowest point. I found this a bit uncomfortable and I hope I get used to it. The shaft is round, not oval, and this may make this more difficult. Time will tell...

No comments: