Saturday 16 May 2009

Ravenglass Seaquest - 9th May 2009

This is a 3 hour "score" type orienteering event that takes place in the 3 estuaries that converge at Ravenglass. Format is to punch as many controls as possible in the 3 hours. You get points for each punch, but the controls farthest away score more. If you are late back, you get time penalties.

You are looking for these...


Either in the water or on the bank. Here's the event map...


And they're off...



I was hoping to paddle my new boat, but the rudder pedal assembly is missing a part that the supplier is trying to track down. So I had to use the Capella, which in the circumstances was most likely a good idea anyway. The weather was mixed to say the least, with sun, rain, hail, moderate winds but ocassional squalls and downpours. This created some interesting conditions in some parts of the estuaries with waves that required crossing or gave assistance surfing. Only at one point was the weather really against me, as a squall hit me at the end of the Irt.

I came second overall with a score of 320 out of a possible 360. I missed 2 controls, one intentionally, one from not quite getting my navigation right. Thanks to Annette Morris and Phil Cheek for organising the event. Thanks to Gavin for taking the photos.

No comments: