Monday 11 May 2015

Brereton Lake - 7th May 2015

First chance to play with my new toy - a red cedar Greenland paddle from Mike Bell at Cedarboats.

Intention is to work my way through some of the Greenland competition rolls to improve my general rolling skills. It was interesting paddling around getting used to the Greenland paddle - marked difference in performance as you extend the paddle and put more of it in the water.

I could do the standard layback roll easily, and managed to "scull" myself back up too. I tried to do a "storm roll" but I find it difficult to break my instinctive rolling position and come up leaning forwards rather than laying on the back deck.

Perhaps when the lake is a bit warmer I'll get a bit more adventurous!.. like rolling on the left as well as the right.

PS - if anyone reading this doesn't know what I'm talking about, here's a video clip demonstrating Greenland rolling technique... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Se-xytOeSc

No comments: